One of the distinctive marks of being a United Methodist Christian is that we do not all subscribe to the same theological beliefs. As our founder, John Wesley put it, “As to all opinions which do not strike at the root of Christianity, we think and let think.” At Dahlgren UMC, theological exploration is strongly encouraged. Having said this, there are some essential historic beliefs outlined in our Book of Discipline which serve to guide us as a community of faith.
We Believe that God exists in three distinct forms — Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- God the Father/Creator, who brings creation into existence, upholds and reveals the ways of life that make for peace and wholeness, and ever works to bring healing and transformation through the power of love.
- God the Son, Jesus Christ, who through his incarnation, life, death and resurrection saves us from the power of sin and death. As our ascended Lord, Christ intercedes for His church today.
- God the Holy Spirit, who reforms, comforts, guides and empowers us to enter into relationship with God and to participate in God’s mission in the world.
We Believe every person to be created in God’s divine image, with inherent worth and dignity.
- Whom God can redeem from sin and death through the life, death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- Whom God seeks to make holy and whole, through the transforming presence of the Holy Spirit.
We Believe in the Church
- As the community called to embody God’s presence in the world.
- Where people worship God joyfully, proclaim God’s Word faithfully and freely share the sacraments of baptism and Holy Communion.
- Where all people are welcomed and nurtured as God’s sons and daughters.
- Where people are nurtured toward Christian maturity through worship, prayer, study, fellowship and service.
- Where the light of God’s love, exposes and conquers evil, injustice and sin.
- Where we participate in God’s mission of inviting persons to follow the risen Christ, in the power of the Holy Spirit, into the hurting places of the world and among the outcasts and the forgotten.
We Believe in the Bible as God’s revealed Word
- Authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- Containing the story of God’s mighty acts of salvation in faithful engagement with people through the ages and supremely in Jesus Christ.
- The primary source for understanding the nature and purposes of God.
- Interpreted by the power of the Holy Spirit present in the community of faith.
WE Believe in the return of Jesus Christ to establish the full reign of the Kingdom of God with justice and peace
- Anticipated today through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Discovered by life renewed, where sin, suffering and death are overcome and God’s victory is made complete.
- Celebrated with all the faithful who are raised from sin and death to live eternally in God’s loving presence.
- Extended to all with God’s mercy and grace.